This morning's doctor appointment felt like an episode of the Twilight Zone. Dr. B did his exam and told me the same thing I've heard the past four appointments - that there was no change to my cervix and that I wasn't dilated at all. However this time, he asked that I come to his office so we could talk about how the rest of the week would play out. Ahh - some hope! Kevin and I both excitedly whispered back and forth in the exam room before going to his office, stating that we'd take him up on a suggestion to induce if he made it.
We step into his office and Dr. B states "Well, eventually this baby has to come out one way or another ... and while I like to wait one week past your due date, if you're feeling overly anxious I am willing to induce". He asked how I was feeling and I stated "Anxious". He then responded with "How about Friday, then?". Wow - it was so casual!! Kevin and I looked at each other excitedly as Dr. B called over to Labor and Delivery. "Hi - this is Dr. Brzozowski, I need to schedule an induction for Friday". I laughed and said it was like he was ordering a pizza. I was so giddy - I couldn't stop smiling.
The plan is as follows: I am to eat a small late lunch, around 2 or 3pm on Thursday, and then arrive at the hospital at 7pm to be admitted. At that point I will receive an oral medication every 4 hours that will help soften my cervix. Around 3am, the pitocin drip will begin to help dilate me and bring on contractions. A little later in the morning, Dr. B will arrive to break my water and the games will begin. I am beside myself knowing that by this weekend, we will be holding our baby in our arms! My parents and grandma are going to come up Thursday night and stay at the house so that they can be at the hospital early Friday. This makes me feel good, too, because through all of this I've been so worried about Oliver and Wendell - our dogs -being left alone at night, wondering what is going on.
Granted, this whole plan goes out the window if Riley decides to arrive on her own prior to then, which is fine with me. At least there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I have a meeting with my manager at 1pm today, but plan to work through the end of the day on Thursday. Kevin is going to work from home the remainder of this week with me and then take off all of next week to spend with Riley and I as we all adjust as a new family.
I can barely concentrate on anything right now and Riley seems to be pretty excited, too - she is moving around SO much! Now I am just going to sit back and enjoy all the kicks and jabs, knowing that my time is limited to take it all in!